This gluten-free food is a highly nutritious seed that is prepared and eaten as a grain. It has a mild, nutty flavour with a little crunch.
Originating in South America, quinoa is now widely recognised as a superfood thanks to its nutritional profile. This grain offers a host of health benefits, from improving digestion to helping control blood sugar levels to adding important minerals like iron and magnesium to your diet.
Quinoa is a great alternative to grain because:
- It’s a complete protein source, with all nine essential amino acids and an excellent protein-to-carbohydrate ratio;
- It’s loaded with essential vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, folate and iron;
- It’s gluten-free and non-GMO;
- It’s high in antioxidants, plant flavanoids, and trace elements; and
- It’s easy to prepare, with a mild nutty flavour.
Ingredients: white quinoa
How to use: Steam or boil to cook. Quinoa can be used as a substitute for other grains, added to salads and stir-fries, or even eaten as a breakfast cereal/porridge.