Organic Turmeric Powder
This organic turmeric powder from Good Life Organic has a distinctive yellow colour and is earthy, bitter and peppery to taste. Besides being used as a spice, research is confirming its many medicinal properties and importance as a functional food.
Some of its health benefits:
- It’s a strong anti-inflammatory and helps with chronic inflammation;
- It’s a potent antioxidant;
- It’s shown to help increase levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which is important for brain health;
- It may help relieve depression;
- It helps to relieve pain;
- It’s great for skin health; and
- It helps the liver to detoxify.
The essential compound in turmeric is curcumin. It’s not well absorbed into the bloodstream, so consider adding some black pepper (for the piperine) and some fat when using turmeric powder as a functional food. This will help improve bioavailability.
Ingredients: Organic turmeric root powder (Curcuma longa)
How to use: Add to scrambled or fried eggs, rice, soups, roasted vegetables and smoothies. Simmer a teaspoonful with milk and honey to make a gold-tinged tea.
Warning: High doses of turmeric have been shown to cause side-effects. If you plan to use turmeric (or any other superfood) for medicinal purposes, it’s always a good idea to consult your medical practitioner first.